Sunday, March 17, 2013

Global Citizen & Local Resident

It is undeniable that our present decisions affect our future in a real way. For instance, if one signs a 25-year mortgage, one is tied down for a quarter of a century paying off one's debt to the bank. Unless one sells his house and downgrades, and alas very few are freed from being indebted throughout the duration of his or her working life. As a servant of God, Paul the apostle counselled Timothy not to be tied down with civilian affairs or things that concern this life in the world. How often we are so engrossed in the affairs of saving our lives in this world without realizing that we are losing our lives for eternity. It's the trick of the devil - beware the worldliness of the devil!

So in the past 5 days I have much time to reflect on many things while resting in my house in Sabah. Humanly speaking, it was difficult to leave one's home and one's family behind. After church today I did not stay behind for small talk. My purpose of returning home in Sabah was fulfilled on Friday when I joined a group of 30 church leaders and members in our weekly Friday night prayer meeting. We prayed for many things and again I was honoured to pray the closing prayers. I did not fail to mention Malaysia's upcoming 13th General Election and the Lahad Datu stand-off before the Lord of peace.

What I have learned to do is to make myself feel at home wherever I am. In Sabah, I am a Sabahan; in Peninsular Malaysia I am a Malaysian; in Singapore I am a local resident; in New Zealand, I live like a Kiwi. I am all things to all men for the sake of the gospel. I am a global citizen, no country I call my own but wherever I find myself, there shall I dwell and glorify the name of the Lord. For I look forward to a city whose builder is God, a kingdom that is not of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment