Monday, January 25, 2021

Unexpected Guest

Yesterday while preaching our online Sunday service, I saw a church member entering the church hall. As we were only allowed a certain number of people on the premises, I was a bit apprehensive at first but I did not have the heart to ask him to leave. So I preached a 45-minute sermon and only by God’s grace I could finish as strongly as I had started. In fact, a few moments before ascending to the pulpit I was not feeling well and I prayed that I would not collapse while preaching. After the sermon I had wonderful fellowship with the recording crew and the unexpected guest.

I think he was lonely because he talked most of the time and we just sat there listening. One thing he mentioned that he, being in his 60s, had seen the younger generation grow up and I told him that a few years ago I talked to a mother in her late 30s and she said that she had listened to me preach during her Sunday school years. Then he replied, God has given us 120 years (a reference to Genesis 6) and if you are 60 years old, then you have another 60 more years to go. I kind of laughed but affirmed what he said. Yes, I told him that by God’s grace, we will have many more years to serve the Lord. Before I started preaching I thought my life could ebb away in a moment’s time. And this morning I received news a very good friend during my early years in ministry, had passed away. I think he might be just a few years older than me. So teach us, O Lord to number of days, and count our years so that we might gain a heart of wisdom and be fruitful to the end of our lives for your Name’s sake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment