Tuesday, June 22, 2021

30 Best Friends

David had his 30 mighty men, and among the thirty he had three mighty men, many of whom were willing to die for him. It is important to have good friends. I did not think much of it in the early part of 2019, but I realised that by December 2019, I would have completed a quarter of a century in the Lord's service, a silver Jubilee. Further, I had left my job in the Bible College in Ranau and returned to Kota Kinabalu without employment or even the promise of gainful employment back in the ministry. It took 11 months before I finally got my new appointment, just the day before I celebrated my 25th anniversary in the full-time ministry on 1st Dec 2019. That Sunday morning I preached in my home church in Likas, a church I pastored for more than 5 years and that evening I was going to hold a thanksgiving service at the same church, in the Ministry Centre which we built in 2005 when I was pastor there. I invited about 50 friends and some could not make it with valid excuses like on mission work in Bangi Island in the north.

But 10 or so people did not turn up and a few whom I expected to at least conveyed their thanks of being invited or congratulate one's friend on their big day did not even bother to respond. At the end, 30 people plus 9 of my former students turned that evening. Among the first to arrive was the former KK Mayor who worked with me to build the Ministry Centre and I was honoured with his presence. Most of those who came that evening were my close friends during my time as Likas church's pastor and few friends from outside. On the day of the anniversary thanksgiving service, I had been out of a job for 10 months and basically had nothing and it is the moment when one had nothing, no job, no position, and no ministry when one would know who remained one's true friends. First, my students who initiated the meeting (for them it was reunion with their former teacher) but when I told them that it would be my 25th anniversary service, they were even more happy to be a part of, and these nine students who came from over the State at their own expense, were indeed true friends. Second, a senior pastor in his early 40s whom I taught as a teenager when I first entered ministry in Melangkap, Kota Belud. I was amazed that he made the long journey (by boat and car) from Labuan twice as he had returned to Labuan, his place of ministry on Saturday night to preach on the Sunday only to return to KK again in the afternoon (5 hours' journey each way) and arrived at the venue as we were about to start. It was a remarkable act of friendship and loyalty to a former teacher and fellow pastor which I will cherish forever. A few who lived just around the corner did not bother to show up. Third, as I had mentioned about the KK Mayor whom a few years back on purpose attended my Muhibbah church in Ranau just to listen to me preach (after he retired as Mayor) and when he was elected as the Assemblyman in 2018, I was truly happy for him. And even just before the change of government in Sabah last year and the Snap Election last September, I had another meeting with him when I preached in my Ranau church last July and thrice he had asked for my prayers before leaving the church hall where we had lunch. Yes I prayed for God's blessing on him and as it turned out, he was re-elected on another party's ticket and appointed Assistant Minister to the Chief Minister in the current government. If there is any justice and reward shown to the righteous, that must be it - "Let not those who favour me put to shame, O Lord" (Psalm 25).

No comments:

Post a Comment