Saturday, December 26, 2020

Tough Christmas Message

It’s hard preaching on Christmas. Over 26 years in ministry I probably rested for 2 or 3 years but more than 20 years I would travel or preach in Kota Kinabalu, my city which I did over the past 5 days. I preached about Jesus being the light of the nations. It was a tough message as I called on the congregation not to focus on one’s own race but the many ethnic groups in KK. Christians have become a small minority in the capital city when one there would be at least a third of the population claiming to be practising Christians. With the onset of COVID if you could count those faithful Christians as those who brave church attendance then it might be just 1 or 2 percent of all people in the city of 1 million population. We had more than 70 people present in church in Christmas Day and I was told last year’s attendance was just 30 people (pre-COVID) and before I became the pastor early this year. A year had passed by quickly and I am now preparing for the New Year’s Eve message and then the first Sunday of 2021 on 3rd January. I told the congregation to take note of the five sermons beginning 13th December and they should ask what the Lord had in store for them and act accordingly in obedience to His will and purposes. I told my congregation that we were a city church in KK, though they might roots in the villages. It is time for our mindset to change and adapt so that we can be light to the city’s inhabitants for Christ’s glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment