Thursday, October 28, 2021

The Proof of His Goodness (Psalm 86:17)

If there is any similar pattern in my life, it is that I have gone out or step forth in faith despite circumstances to the contrary. I remember well my first job in ministry as a lecturer in Melangkap, Kota Belud, in the interior of Sabah, with no electricity or paved roads but armed with the certainty of God's presence because Jesus said, "I shall be with you until the end of the age"(Matt 28:20). My first test came about a month into my ministry as in early January 1995 I received a letter from the University of Auckland University awarding me a 2-year Masters scholarship (MTheol) with all fees paid plus living allowances which trebled my meagre salary as a Bible lecturer (RM700.00 per month).

After much prayers and a vision from the Lord I rejected it, because it was by faith, I obeyed God. At the end of that year, I was elected as Treasurer-General of Sidang Injil Borneo and within three years I had preached 300 sermons in nearly 70 villages in 28 Districts of Sabah. In the past 10 days, I faced similar tests with two offers from a Bible Seminary (not in Sabah) and also a position within my own denomination. The former I turned down in three days out of respect of the Principal who called, but the latter I turned down immediately but with good cheers as this senior leader dropped by my house and we had dinner fellowship for 2 hours. I was honoured by his presence and his friendship. Yet, when I reflected on all these happenings in recent days, I felt I had to stick to my guns - to obey God first and foremost - by faith. Not to think of financial gain or position of influence but to look to God who is invisible and all powerful - the great I AM. And this morning, I read from Psalms 85-92 with meditations and marking of the Bible pages, time and time again in my life, I am shown the proof of His goodness (Psalm 86).

No comments:

Post a Comment