Thursday, December 16, 2021

Working for Others

I suppose only about 2 or 3 percent of grown adults are their own bosses and most people work for others or at least have a board or council to answer to. I worked for several law firms both in NZ and Sabah for two years and then opened my law firm at the age of 24 years old for about 4 years before leaving legal practise for good to enter full-time ministry. This is my 28th year as pastor or church worker and one way or another I have always been under authority. Serving under human authority could be a severe test when one's leaders do not behave according to one's hopes or Christian standard. Not many Christian leaders are straight forward and upright, honest in their conversations without hypocrisy or deceit. 

Even when I was in Singapore, there was an occasion when I was granted Singapore Permanent Residence that I nearly quit, in fact I offered my resignation but was not accepted. It was over the payment of my CPF (Central Provident Fund) and being a law-abiding person, I could see it no other way than following the rules set by Singapore's government. But now I find myself in similar predicament. Being a pastor where I am, is like the apostles in Paul's day, placed at the bottom of the heap, the scum of the earth. 

In my last meeting with my church leaders, I was told certain terms and conditions and I was expected to follow to the letter. I thought the sheep should hear the voice of the pastor and not the other way round. After 40 days since I handed my letter of resignation, I still felt that I had handled everything with uprightness, discretion and decorum so that the flock that I shepherd would not be affected much by the pastor's leaving. 

So now I go back to my drawing board and see what the Lord has in store for me in the future. Ideally, I won't work for others anymore. With my seniority and years, I don't want to waste energy with those who do not share my vision and ideals of Christian service for as Paul says, "not everyone has faith". I am prepared to sell my possessions in obedience to Christ, perhaps rent a little place and live out my years in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment