Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Sukkot & Mooncake Festival


It was a double celebration last night. For the Chinese it is the mid-autumn festival or Mooncake festival that falls on the 15th day of the 8th month in the Chinese calendar while Sukkot falls on 15th Tishri, the 7th month in the biblical calendar. My brother texted me at 10.30 am and I was having morning tea with my Principal in Namaus some 2.5 hours from Kota Kinabalu. Forthwith I applied for leave and by 11.30 am I started my journey back to KK to have dinner with my family. I have not spoken with my mum since May and I thought it was a good time to reconnect. Familial ties with me as the only Christian in the family and my niece going to a SIB youth group could be testy at times to say the least. But whenever I have a chance to make peace or build up relationships I am all for it even for aggrieved Christian brothers.
The only Christian content in the 2 hour visit to my brother's house was my telling them that yesterday was also The Feast of Tabernacles according to the Jewish and Christian calendars. How shameful so many Christians know little about this greatest of feasts mentioned elaborately three times in Leviticus 23, Numbers 29 and Deuteronomy 16 and Jesus taught about the coming of the Holy Spirit on the 8th and great day of the Feast in John 7. I was saddened when I asked my students at Chapel and very few knew anything about the significance of Sukkot. Perhaps more know about Mooncake festival as the delicacies are sold in many shops over the past month. I lament the lack of biblical literacy even in theological Colleges what more in churches. Hence,  I am redoubling my efforts to preach whenever and wherever I am invited and I trust in the Lord next year will be more preaching in various places and not less.

No comments:

Post a Comment