Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Powerful Preaching

There is no doubt that preaching is the most difficult job there is. I would not venture a guess why I was called to be a preacher unless it is one of the toughest assignments one can get. First, it is speaking in the name of God or on His behalf. Who is worthy of that? Who is adequate to speak for God? Unless one is absolutely certain of one's calling which is tested multiple times during the course of one's life time, one should certainly venture to do something else. Second, it is speaking in the power of God or the power of the Holy Spirit. Who is able to imagine that suddenly when he steps up the pulpit, the Spirit comes upon him, and he will deliver God's Word, as the oracles of God impelled by the Spirit?

Last Sunday, I could say I was more prepared than ever since I did not preaching the Sunday before, but probably half of what I said was not intended earlier, but it was what I believe the Holy Spirit wanted me say, even after 2 days of reflection. I had garnered more than the usual positive feedback and very rarely, within 24 hours, my church's your-tube channel recorded more than 400 views. Third, preaching is explaining spiritual truths which cannot be put down as logic or presented in some rational or argumentative fashion, even as Paul says, "the Spirit interprets spiritual things and the natural man (soulish man) cannot comprehend it" (1 Cor 2). I was speaking about the love of God and the Holy Spirit. Who is qualify to speak of such lofty things? Who is able to explain by what Christ meant, "..My Father will love him, and We will come and dwell with him" (John 14:23)? It took me just under 52 minutes, but by the end of it, Christ's mystery was made clear and the spiritual got fed and edified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment