Saturday, October 16, 2021

Landmarks & Milestones

"All my days were written in Your book and ordained for me before one of them came to be..." (Psalm 139:16). Is there a verse that speaks more of predestination of the elect as this? David had a sense of destiny, knowing that his days were ordained by God and all things that happened to him were known to God before one of them came to be. David ruled for 40 years when he was in Hebron and he died when he was 70. The number of 40 appears to be a most significant number in the Bible. The children of Israel wandered in wilderness for 40 years. Moses' life was divided into three 40s - the first as his early years in Egpyt as a son of Pharaoh's daughter, the second, his 40 years in the wilderness of Midian before God called him again when he was 80 and he led the Israelites for 40 years before Moses died when he was 120 years old.

I come to know and learn of the Lord that one can't force or exert one's will in doing God's works. I had wanted to write my 5th book for a year now but thus far, there has not been any inspiration whereas in 2019 while waiting for my next ministry appointment, I wrote and published two books and wrote a draft of my 4th book in the Song of Solomon published early this year. That 11 months in 2019 were indeed productive and fruitful, though the writing came in the second half of the year, finishing up Departure Points and also a commentary on John's Gospel in Malay. I also visited 7 or 8 interior Districts preaching and teaching as far as Pulau Banggi, north of Kudat by a ferry's ride. But my next landmark or milestone will be my 40th year in Christ Jesus next year since the Lord Jesus appeared to me in a room at Ilam Flats, University of Canterbury, Christchurch on the 24th April 1982. Is it a coincidence that on 24th April 2022 also marks my 10,000th day in full-time service? "All my days were written in Your book, O Lord and are ordained for me before one of them comes to pass.." So be it, Lord. Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment