Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The Week that Was

It's been a crazy week. Finally I was told the number of students in each of my classes. I miss the large community at MTS/BTS when I served as Acting Principal when we had 81 full-time students. At TTC, Singapore there were years that we exceeded 200 full-time students in both English and Chinese Departments. I also changed last minute the Gospel I would be teaching from St John's to St. Matthew's Gospel. I felt I made the right decision but it meant I spent about the whole week re-reading Matthean texts and commentaries. I prepared a series of notes for the introduction to Paul's 13 letters as part of Introduction to New Testament 2 class. It's been a crazy week. I was assigned to preach at Chapel in the 2nd week of July, so this weekend will be given to sermon preparation.

At TTC, I don't remember preaching so quickly perhaps after 6 months of me taking the teaching position in the 2nd Semester of the New Year 2009. TTC has a July start to the new academic year. Twice last week I was addressed as a Professor. First, a doctoral seminar held tomorrow afternoon which I shall be responding over Zoom and also in church last Sunday. It happened that a Malaysian who migrated to USA many years ago and returned to Sabah and he also called me Professor despite my insistence that in Sabah, the title "lecturer" is more common. But this time, I am not going to waste my time about titles, whether it be "Reverend" "Pastor" or "Professor". Now I am at the zenith of my knowledge and experience, having published a total of five books, the last four books in the past three and a half years. I have pastored three churches and likewise four times appointed to Seminary's positions (1994, 2015, 2016, 2023). And I have been an administrator or executive pastor for a term of 3 years when I managed the denomination's finances. I have come a full circle. I would not think my current ministry will be my final ministry, though it is tempting to stay put as long as possible as age advances. I testified in church last Sunday that be it 6 months or 6 years, or until I am 70 years old, I will obey the call of Christ to serve where He leads for those who stand with the Lamb on Mount Zion on the last day (Rev 14:1) are those who have followed the Lamb wherever He goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment