Friday, April 26, 2013

Essay Topics on John's Gospel


Essay Topics:
1)            Pilate said to Jesus: “What is Truth?” (John 18:38). Discuss the concept of truth in the Gospel of John.
2)            Explain how irony is used to great effect in the encounters and conversations of Jesus with Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman respectively in John 3-4.
3)            John’s use of the Old Testament is more subtle and nuanced beyond citations of biblical texts. Discuss the use of the OT with reference to 3 or 4 instances in the Gospel of John.
4)            How do the “I am” sayings contribute to our understanding of the person of Jesus Christ in the Gospel of John?
5)            John’s Gospel depicts several groups or entities that are opposed to the work of Christ including “The Jews”, “the Pharisees,” “the world”, and “the devil”. Why was Jesus hated?
6)            Explain how John develops Jesus’ teaching on the Holy Spirit in the Fourth Gospel.
7)            The relationship between the Father and the Son is the key to understanding the concept of God in John’s Gospel. Explain how this relationship is portrayed in the light of these two sayings of Jesus: “My Father and I are one” and “My Father is greater than I”.

I have graded some 30 essays and reviews and in the process of grading the rest of the essays on John's Gospel. I must say that I learnt from my students as much as I hope they have learnt from me by the grace of God, trusting in the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth who will guide us into all truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment