Thursday, April 25, 2013

Last Lectures

By the grace of God, since the break I managed to get through 5 weeks of intense lecturing, 9 hours a week, 3 hours each for Greek, The Gospel of John and Intro to NT. I gave my last lectures on John's Gospel yesterday as next week is Labour Day, a public holiday, a well deserved rest for those who labour for the Lord. Today I spoke on 1 & 2 John and simply ran out of time for 3 John. When I reached 1 John 2:11ff on the three stages of Christian growth, I shared how 31 years ago yesterday I felt my sins to be forgiven and as a little child I came to know the Father.
31 years on with a sense of gratitude and humility, I have now become a "father", knowing God from the beginning. It's time for much thanksgiving -  I shared how God provided for my needs and the need to live moderately, a simple life with much contentment or else the love for the things of the world can ensnare us through the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. Next week will be my final lectures on NT 2 concerning the book of Revelation in less than 3 hours during which I will speak on the structure of the book of Revelation and several of the main characters in the book. As Paul says that it was not just the teachings that he imparted to his converts but also his life and he held them dear in his heart. I probably can't say that of my students as they are here for a few years and a new batch of students will arrive come July for the new academic year. But while they are here, under my instruction in my class or classes, I will give them my best in terms of Christian instruction and NT scholarship salted with my ministry experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment