Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Keeping Up with Hebrew & LXX Greek

In the midst of marking papers for NT 2, these two weeks' break give relief in terms having time to revise my Hebrew and keep up with reading of Septuagint Greek. I am currently using Marc Zvi Brettler's Biblical Hebrew for Students of Modern Israeli Hebrew and I have with me, T. Muraoka's A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint which I use regularly to look up words. For instance, Daniel 12:4, LXX has this unusual word, apomanosin from mainomai (to become insane) which gives the reading as "many will become insane and wickedness will multiply" whereas the Theodotion has "many shall be taught and knowledge will multiply" and the Hebrew MT has "many shall go to and fro and knowledge will multiply."

No comments:

Post a Comment