Friday, April 5, 2019

European Dream (IOSOT 2019)

I have a dream. I have many dreams, most of which unfulfilled to this day. I have dreamt of going to UK since I was 13 years old. My parents sent me to Singapore for secondary School in preparation to study in UK. But as fate (God) has it, I went to Australia (Year 12) and then to Christchurch for University. On the 55th day on my arrival in Christchurch (1982), I had a vision of Jesus Christ in my room and I was born again and until today a follower of Christ. When I was 19 years old, the Lord gave me numerous songs. I wrote about 6 or 7 songs from the Psalms and one from the Song of Solomon. I wrote three songs about Jerusalem, the city of the Lord (one from Matthew 23). I sang one of the Jerusalem songs with my OT colleague (President of TRAC now) at the TTC cultural night in 2009, 10 years ago. But until now Jerusalem is a distant dream. I don't know about UK as my spirit has not rested since I was told that my paper on the Law and Prophets was accepted for oral presentation at the International Organisation for the Study of the Old Testament's 23rd Congress held in the University of Aberdeen.
There were only 3 afternoon sessions for short papers, so I imagine that not too many scholars besides those invited speakers will be presenting papers during the Congress. I understand that 200 or 300 OT scholars around the world could attend this Congress. It would be an honour to present my findings in front of such august assembly. I look forward to the questions and criticism of my paper. That's part of scholarship. But I guess I have to keep dreaming that the Lord will open the doors for me to attend the Scotland's Congress. If I do, at least UK on the bucket list will be ticked off. But I believe there is a greater purpose. As a young Christian I have prayed for the re-evangelization of the West. May it happen, Lord in my life-time. Hope deferred makes the heart sick but a longing fulfilled is a tree of Life (Proverbs 13:12).  

No comments:

Post a Comment