Thursday, August 8, 2019

Reading Revelation in Greek

In the past two days I have been reading the book of Revelation in Greek using the UBS 5th edition. I also have the Nestle-Aland 28th edition but the latter is on the shelf and used also occasionally as it is bulkier with giant print. But the book of Revelation is an amazing book, the only one that comes with a blessing just by reading it (Rev 1:1-3). But I am reading it for a refresher and also as preparation for two end-time seminars that I shall be conducting this month and next. The organisers for the Sept seminar had texted and reminded me to give the titles of my talks. That Kudat trip will see me preaching twice on Friday night and Sunday morning service before heading back to KK. Energy wise I am not sure whether I am up to it with all the travelling and driving alone is not the most ideal form of journeying for Christ as the early disciples went out two by two.
Reading the first two chapters in Greek has been fascinating. I realised that Revised Standard Version is among the closest to the originals. NIV or other versions don’t come near. Revelation has a form of simple Koine Greek. It is a bit like John’s Gospel though the main themes are different with some overlap nonetheless. It is crying shame that full time theological students don’t spend enough time to gain a proficiency in reading Greek. I am talking about a solid 2 years of Greek and with that it is not difficult to read the book of Revelation. With the Septuagintal prophetic books as the mainstay of John’s writing in Revelation, I think after the first year of introductory Greek, one can go into second year NT Greek with a heavy dose of Septuagint as well since almost all the NT authors referred to the LXX most times for their OT quotations and allusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment