Sunday, January 9, 2022

“Do not Lie”

In the book of Revelation, thrice towards the end of the book, the author warns against lying and practising falsehood (Rev 21:8, 27; 22:15). Those who lie or practise falsehood will find themselves excluded from the eternal city and cast into the lake of fire where the devil and his followers will be tormented forever and ever. Do we speak the truth? Do we honour our word? That our word is our promise and our honour. Or do people simply think they can get away with their words of falsehood, either promising to do something and not doing and actually twisting and turning like a snake, a symbol of the devil who is the father of lies? I have encountered many Christians who lie and those who practise falsehood one way or the other.

One Christian leader suggested I back date my letter of resignation. To him, it seems a small matter just like some lawyers don’t blink an eye when they put a different figure in the S n P agreement so that their clients can get a higher loan amount or pay lower stamp duties as the case may be. There are many ways of cheating or lying. One former pastor asked me whether I would tell a purchaser of my house if my roof leaks. And answer is Yes. He was taken aback by my straight forward answer. He thought I might keep silent but I told him I would rather end up with RM10,000 less than have people cursing me everyday for years should any problem crop up when he moves in. No wonder many people will fall foul of this rule. Why is so difficult to enter the kingdom of heaven? It is by the straight and narrow path for the broad and easy is the way that leads to destruction. Yes it is not easy to speak the truth all the times and that when we say something that we will do, we shall do and even if we can’t, we will give an appropriate response so that no one is injured by our promise. There is a sin of commission and a sin of omission. People who lie and practise falsehood fall foul of both sins and their destiny is their destruction and torment in the lake of fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment