Saturday, January 21, 2023

Shopping for Lunar New Year

It brings to bear how much prices have gone up. Just last year in early Feb when I invited my church leaders and members to my house for Chinese New Year celebration a roast duck costs about RM80.00. Now it is RM120.00 a 50 percent increase. Pork prices have doubled, 100 percent rise in the past six months. How can people survive with low wages I am not sure. I am not surprised that many are struggling to make ends meet and “bulan tua” comes earlier in the middle of the month for many workers.

Wages increased from the minimum wage of RM1,200.00 to RM1,500.00 this year but when you are paying off the cheapest Malaysian car over 9 years, and pay rent for accommodation you are left with little, even for non smokers and drinkers. It’s amazing to think that more than 200 full time church workers are paid less than the minimum wage according to my estimation. Unless we can take care of the lowest and the least of our brothers we are not treating Christ alright. 

When I was in Ranau over Christmas, members talked how two prominent church leaders just disappeared without trace during the vaccination drive. They are uncontactable and most likely not even attending church. Why is that so? Perhaps over the pulpit for over a year from beginning of 2021 to early 2022 much pressure was being on members to get vaccinated. People are expected to toll the line blindly and some have suffered serious side effects until today including among the elders of the two former churches that I had pastored.

Who is going to be responsible for the longterm ill effect of the vaccines? Sure it is personal responsibility for each and everyone but alas more caution has to be taken for those who are have doubts and at risk of side effects.

Celebrating Lunar New Year is a family event. This year I have the whole family with me. My son is back and my youngest brother and his family are back except his daughter studying in London. Only one is missing and I feel it. A good shepherd cares for all sheep and if one is lost he leaves the rest behind and seek after the one lost sheep to bring it back to the fold. What will Jesus say to those leaders who care less but in fact oppress the sheep and not care and visit the weak and sickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment