Wednesday, September 25, 2024

A Throw of the Dice

My life is like a big gamble. Like I put all my money on the table and say, "call". But I am not in a poker game. Nor in the game of thrones. But I am serving in the kingdom of heaven, unseen by men, seen by a few spiritual men and women. Today I got an offer to pastor a church just below 50% of my former salary as a lecturer. But I actually feel more excited about this offer than my former job when it came about. They even set for the date for welcoming of the pastor should I accept the offer. Maybe in a week or two, latest by mid-October I think my future would be sorted out. Or else I will stick to writing books.

When I think of my salary there is no way I could survive on that and the irony is that I am at the top of my game, not just experience but wit and wisdom and plenty of knowledge like Paul says "I have knowledge though I might not be a skilled speaker" like some of the Greek orators in Paul's time. Preaching is not like giving a speech. It is a novel kind of speech, sometimes declaring God's will, sometimes chastising the sins of the people, sometimes comforting, sometimes looking to the future though not forgetting to live in the present. In fact, true preaching is the toughest game in town.

Yet the pay is a pittance, hardly more than the minimum pay of a Malaysian who just graduated from secondary school let alone a PhD, a true doctorate as such as there are just so many fake doctorates around. Well they put up a mantle to impress and to deceive and the undiscerning are led astray by these charlatans and men pleasers. Will I accept the offer? Well it is not entirely up to me. It will be a joint decision of myself and wife as she will be part of the pastoral team as a pastor's wife does have some role to play, but yet unpaid and often unappreciated. But I am in the business of the Father, working for Him and His kingdom and looking for a reward only God can give, eternal reward together with Christ in His Father's kingdom forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment