Monday, August 29, 2022

A Surprise Visit

Yesterday I drove to Kota Belud not knowing where I was going to attend Sunday service. It was about 2 months when on the way to Ranau's Bible College I decided last minute to attend church where I was asked to preach last minute. This time round, my decision was made easy as about 7.30am I received at text from a pastor friend to meet at another place instead of the town centre in Kota Belud as agreed a week before. So I arrived at the church near my meeting place and I went in at about 9.50am. The service already started and the announcements must have taken at least 15 minutes. There were about 150 adults (just about the same attendance as my previous Sunday's service at Kalibatang). I shook hands with the ushers (all four of them) and none recognised me and that was fine since it was probably 15 or 20 years that I last preached in the church.

I actually went to the washroom outside and on my second entry into the church, one young usher recognised me and called me, "Pastor!". I duly sat right in the middle row and it is a large church that could easily seat 600 or 700 adults. One lady actually asked me to sit in front perhaps she knew who I am but I acknowledged her but sat right where I was. But ten minutes later, the elder in charge came to me and invited me to sit in front and I felt I could not refuse as this elder has been a good friend. I did not want any attention to myself and my only reason for the visit was worshipping the Lord with the saints. I was introduced to the pastor and the speaker for the service. The church pastor who knew me sat with me and we chatted for a while as the announcer also welcomed me and he added, "Maybe later the pastor will explain why Pst Tony is in the church!". That got my attention and I was glad that the pastor waived him on. 

The sermon on Galatians was short and sweet and at the end the pastor whispered in my ears whether I had a message for the church. I was holding my John's Gospel's commentary and he said he owned a copy and was very blessed by it. So I asked his permission to promote my book and after the Sunday offering I was introduced by the pastor who mentioned my book and "penghuraian yang amat baik and telah banyak membantu saya" (great interpretation that has helped me). So I ascended the pulpit and greeted the church and noted that it has been many years since I worshipped here at this historic church where our pioneering missionary was based (Rev Trevor White; Pdt Asang). I took at most three minutes and the pastor even asked the congregation to clap and welcome me and the book. I only brought five copies with me, not planning to do any book selling and it was sold out within minutes at the end of the service. In fact, a couple of leaders asked for the book and I joked I would be back and they need not be disappointed. We had a wonderful fellowship lunch and I let the church about 12 noon to meet with my friend nearby. 

1 comment: