Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Among the Dusuns of Kota Belud

I started my ministry in Kota Belud. Last Saturday I preached in a church that I visited and preached in 1995. After a short while sitting there waiting for the service to start, I started to realise that this could be my second round had just begun and this would be the second half of ministry among the Dusuns. I started my sermon by asking how many were born before 1995. Only a handful of leaders who were present raised their hands. Almost all (99%) of the youths present (about 450 of them) were born after 1995. Most of them do not know me. Soon if I don't minister among them, the new generation would have forgotten their seniors and veterans. Earlier in the morning I preached among the seniors (those above 40 but most of the 153 who came were above 55 years old).

I told the seniors for the first time I felt I was qualified to preach among them since I would be turning 60 next year. Most of my friends and partners in ministry are older than I am. But my message that took 43 minutes was relatively short and a few of them commented how brief they felt and we ended the service just before 11am after 9.05am start. We had to wait for another 30 minutes for lunch. 

I preached from Galatians 6:4, Psalm 92:13-15 which was my main text; Psalm 71 and Eccles 9:10 with theme "they will still bear fruits (in their old age)". It was a powerful message. I am surprised that my voice was loud and clear and one participant was surprised how powerful my voice was. He must have heard me preach 29 years ago, but my voice, thanks be to God remains strong and clear. My main message was to the 60-70 yo which was the main group in the meeting. "Establishing legacy" and what we must do to leave a legacy so that the next generation remembers us. I saw that all too clearly when I spoke at the Youth meeting that night. Many of them need to know the Lord Jesus in a personal way. I have seen not a few fell from faith and no longer go to church when they move to the city. If they know the Lord personally and have an encounter with Him, it is not easy to forsake the Lord once they have felt the love of God poured out into their hearts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment