Saturday, January 13, 2024

Anti-Hero

We love to watch heroes or anti-heroes in movies and fantasies that it happens in real life. When I left the conference room after my resignation was confirmed I returned to my office and checked my email. Lo and behold an invitation to teach a MTheol module. When one door is closed, another opens. I am like the anti-hero. A kung fu (sifu) master with a black belt and 6 dans (6 published books to my name and when needed he appears and comes to the rescue. Jephthah was an outcast as he was illegitimate, but when Israelites needed him, they looked for him and he delivered God's people from destruction by their enemies. I often played the parts of an anti-hero. Twice during the pandemic I went up to the College to teach intensives when called upon while many hid in caves and cowered in fear. But when I am not needed, my name was struck off the roll. I was never invited to any graduation dinner or even graduation.

My friend asked me whether I still think of myself as "James Bond". He must have read my book, Departure Points when I crossed a river that overflowed its banks and killed 230 people in Keningau many years ago. I replied, "no, I am already old" and "you don't want an old James Bond" as we know once James Bond becomes too old, a younger person replaces him on the screen. 

But still, I am going on an adventure of a lifetime. Maybe others can kow-tow to their masters and overlords but I have my pride and dignity in the right way. Just as Abraham who lifted up his hand to God and would refuse benefactions from king of Sodom, likewise I will not compromise my principles for a bowl of rice or my career. I have no career. I have moved 23 times and soon will embark on my 24th time in going from one place of ministry to another. I am the Lord's agent and He will use me as He wishes.

I am like the anti-hero of Chinese dramas. But I have immense skills and knowledge by God's grace. I have read a full set of commentaries for almost every book of the Bible before entering first year of theological education. Some books of the Bible I have read 4 or 5 commentaries before Year 1. I took up Hebrew and Greek at the same time, the only student to do that at the University of Auckland. I should be "celebrated", not criticised for my life decisions and independence. I should be respected for being a self-man man, though as for me, it is God-made man for I am not worthy of all His grace and truth but He has blessed me and I have returned with two camps. I joined the ministry with a single staff (zero money) thirty years ago, but now all my needs are provided for, as Jesus said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matt 6:33).

No comments:

Post a Comment