Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Class About to Start

When I was the Acting Principal I was going to bring in some change to the academic calendar in that the teaching Semester should start earlier. Here, my first class has not started and my first class is on Thursday. If I had my way, students should return by 3rd Jan and orientation should be just 2 full days and lectures should commence by the 2nd week or at the latest middle of the 2nd week of January. Although I had a hectic schedule of ministry of preaching in 7 churches, four times outstation in the last two months of 2023, I had prepared everything in terms of syllabus and course description by the first few days of 2024.

I was ready to teach 10 days ago and all the times of waiting are wasted and first Semester has many public holidays with less than just three weeks of lectures before a week-long Chinese New Year holidays and then another week break for the mid-Semester break in the third week of March. But that's has been the tradition of many places and it is hard to bring about change unless one exercises leadership and authority in any given institution. But I am glad to focus on my three subjects, all new and I have planned out what I am going to do until the last teaching week of the Semester in the third week of May. Then, I fly off to KL to conduct a postgraduate module and back to Sabah in 5 or 6 days. For Harvest Festival I am probably in church for some celebrations and our class reunion is scheduled on the 6th or 7th June. Last night I joined in the committee meeting for the first time, and there were several class mates whom I had not seen for 44 years since I left School in Sandakan after finishing Form 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment