Friday, March 22, 2024

My Preaching Duties are Done!

As for my current place of ministry, my preaching duties here are done. I thank everyone concerned for giving me the opportunity to be the main speaker of the Seminary's Retreat.  I think due to some faculty support, my invitation to speak was not withdrawn despite me leaving the Seminary by middle of the year. It was good to a have "farewell speech" though it was nothing of that sort as I focused on the theme given to me "The Good Shepherd - John 21:15-18". I told the Chaplain earlier that I would speak on the text in my first session and in my second and last session on John 10 where the inscription of the "Good Shepherd' appears twice in John 10:11, 14. The first session was more organised in that I had 17 slides ready but by the 14th slide I sensed my time had run out, truly it was exactly 1 hour, the time given to the speaker each session.

The final session went on for 1 hour and a few minutes as I took the first 7 minutes to speak about my books, really on theme too as feeding on God's Word means reading good theological books and I testified that in Singapore over 6 years I wrote only one essay because on average I read 5 books a week. A colleague seated in front mumbled that it was only 2 books a year. Many years ago I realised when I was pastor of SIB Likas (BM) from 2003-2008, I had the gift of speed reading and after reading some 700 books and articles for my PhD, I had read the same amount of books in my 6 years in Singapore. Now I tried to read at least one book in a fortnight and as one ages, one slows down but the reservoir of knowledge is already stored in my brain and imprinted on my mind and heart. Maybe I will edit my two sermons and upload them onto my You-tube channel. The first 15 minutes are already up and ready for viewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment