Wednesday, December 19, 2012

From John to Paul

After reading on John for 10 days I have now turned my attention to Paul. For another 10 days I hope my study on Paul will take me to the end of the year and preparation for the new Semester will begin in earnest. Moyise's Paul's use of Scripture contains a chapter on Paul's exegesis of the creation stories in Gen 1-2. Understanding how Paul used Gen 1-2 is crucial in interpreting Paul's idea on women's role in church as seen in 1 Cor 11 and 14 read together with 1Tim 2. John's scriptural reference in his Gospel is perhaps more nuanced and subtle than Paul where John could cite Psalm 82: "You are gods" without much explanation and then expects his readers to understand Jesus' argument that as the Son of God he is entitled to claim equality with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment