Friday, January 31, 2014

New Year with the Psalms

Yesterday I read about 10 Psalms (50-59) for breakfast and today the first day of Lunar New Year I read Psalms 60-69. Lord what would I do without your Psalms, songs of praise and songs of lament? Mixed with praise is lament of the Psalmist: "Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame has covered my face. I am a stranger unto my brethren, an alien to my mother's children. For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me." (Psa 69:7-9). It was good to start the year with songs;
Kyrie Eleison (Luke 18) when I first taught Greek in 1995; I will sing to You, my God when I felt such ecstasy when the Lord called me into ministry, giving up my law practice 21 years ago and "Beautiful Saviour" when I gazed on the beauty of the Lord, filling my heart with joy even as the love of God is poured out abundantly into my heart. So this morning I sang to the Lord even as the Psalmist declared, "I will praise the name of God with a song, and magnify him with thanksgiving...shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs." (69:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment