Sunday, May 4, 2014

"I saw Visions of God" (Ezekiel 1)

Ezekiel the prophet introduced his prophecies by claiming that he saw visions of God. Not just one vision but multiple visions when God first appeared to him at the river Kebar. He was 30 years, 4 months and 5 days old (Ezek 1:1). Ezekiel prophesied for more than a quarter of a century. From before the people of Judah were exiled, to the fall of Jerusalem, exile and even when they were settled in exile, Ezekiel prophesied to his countrymen without fail. Not that they liked him or took him as prophet for there must be considerable scepticism since the refrain in Ezekiel is that "whether they listen or not, they will know that there is a prophet in their midst." How they knew is not made explicit but perhaps their rebellious hearts told them that God's prophet was in their midst even when they chose to ignore the prophetic word. The prophet Ezekiel must have been sustained in his prophetic ministry by the visions of God; he had such intimate knowledge of the God who called him to be watchman, a sentinel to the house of Israel, to warn the people of God's impending judgement.
Today I also by the grace of God saw visions of God. God knows my heart and I was early to the 11am worship service. By the time the first song was sung, I sensed God's presence strong. Multitudes in heaven worshipped Him. The saints of old, the prophets of old, the believers over the ages from old to new, throughout the centuries lined up to worship the Lord. It was a vast multitude that could not be numbered. Heaven is never a lonesome place for the holy ones of God inhabit the house of God with their praises. Today the Lord showed himself strong. He danced and rejoiced over His people and all creation bowed and worshipped Him. The whole earth is filled with his glory, in fact the planet earth is so minute, so tiny in the scheme of things, for He is the Lord of hosts, his heavenly armies surround the righteous on earth and protect them as a shield. God is my light and my shield, whom shall I fear? Like my first months of my encounter with Jesus Christ 32 years ago, today I worshipped the Lord in humble adoration and with abandonment and total surrender. I consecrated my life afresh to the Lord. "Lord, use me as You will" and I cried out, "Take me home Lord now!" for that would be far better.

No comments:

Post a Comment