Sunday, October 16, 2016

Feast of Tabernacles 2016 in Namaus

I have great joy today. Since last night's rehearsal and today's Sukkot service I was overflowing with joy and rejoiced in the Lord greatly according to his commandment on the Feast of Tabernacles (Deuteronomy 16,14-15). I got my students build a tent or tabernacle and it was completed in 2 hours before and during the rehearsal. The full worship team turned up with 8 tambourine dancers with two singers and a full band. It was quite a sight this morning as the tambourine dancers without knowing it wore the Israeli colours of blue and white. I wore a blue tie in honour of our Jewish roots (Romans 9-11). I spoke about how in a way Gentiles are the Israel of God  (Gal 6,16), being wild olive branches grafted in one olive tree, Israel and Jesus Christ being the root, the Root of Jesse. I preached probably my longest sermon to date, all in all 1 hour and 23 minutes. I could have gone on for 2 hours but I thought otherwise as things needed to be gotten used to including long sermons. I could only preach so long because I felt the anointing strong which I did not feel in front of 5,000 youths last month.
The College community is only about 100 strong but they heard the Word of God preached in the demonstration of the Spirit and power. I expounded systematically and contextually Leviticus 23, Deuteronomy 16 and John 7 where the Feast of Tabernacles is spoken of. I spoke about the Jewish New Year,  5777 in 2016. The Holy month Tishrei or the 7th month where the feasts are celebrated. I spoke about the 7 feasts beginning with the weekly sabbath or our Christian Sunday. I told my college community never take the Sunday service for granted and it is a holy day to worship the Lord. I spoke about the call to care for the marginalised in Deuteronomy 16 where widows, orphans and foreigners are singled out to receive bounty so that they could also rejoice along with the well to do Israelites.  I spoke about the theme of joy about dancing before the Lord and truly worshipping God in spirit and truth. I told them of my joy during the Merdeka service on 30th August night and how I danced before the Lord. I told them about the feast of ingathering another name for Sukkot as the people of God collect their end of the year's produce and harvests. It is harvest time and  I challenged them to win souls for the Lord. It is harvest time as we strive for maturity and ready to be harvested at the Lord's coming. I told them the challenges of ministry that we should not think of comfort or convenience and I shared how I lelt my comfort zone and dwelt in their midst in a little village out of nowhere. I laughed at how the house designated for me is still being renovated with stop-start and there is no guarantee I could move in at the end of the Semester which is less than 3 weeks away. I told them this is my life, living in tents looking to a city whose maker is God and God is not ashamed to be called our God if we walk by faith like the patriarchs did.

No comments:

Post a Comment