Friday, June 1, 2018

The Month that Was

It was a month that will go down in history as epochal in changing the political landscape of the country. For the first time in my lifetime I witnessed a change of government in Malaysia whereas in my decade-long sojourn in NZ for education I had witnessed at least 4 or 5 change of governments with a total of 7 or 8 Prime Ministers. So it is historical in Malaysia and yesterday the Finance Minister announced that more than RM7 million had been donated to the Nation Hope Fund by ordinary citizens. It reminded me what John F Kennedy said half a century ago "Do not ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". If such hope is generated by people of the world that yearned for change for the better it can be a bit discouraging to see within the church, members can still take things so easily as far as the kingdom of God is concerned.  Many want to go to church but few want to follow Christ.  Many want to go to heaven but very few are willing to pay the price.
This month is also pivotal for me. I praise God for his blessings and some of my personal debts were settled and documents signed and sealed. I had to travel to Kaban, a village in Sipitang of more than 3 hours' drive from KK early May. Then on Pentecost Sunday I travelled back to College thinking that I was going to teach an extension programme in Ranau but it was cancelled last minute. I did not for a moment feel aggrieved for the time and travel involved 5 hours driving back and forth KK because I had the chance to preach on Pentecost Sunday to the College students just 10 days after the historic General Election. I spent last weekend in Keningau teaching and preaching. Praise God that many were blessed with the message on Sunday and I drove back across Crocker Range with great joy of the Holy Spirit. Then on Harvest Festival on 30-31 May I returned to my wife's village and spent some time helping my mother in law in her village home. We managed to take a washing machine that I used in Ranau 2 years ago and a used TV to the village. Time with family is indeed precious provided there is mutual love and respect. My mother in law is a woman of valour. She never asked me for anything because she worked for her living without depending on anyone. So yesterday just before dawn at 5.15 am I drove her to the weekly market tamu. There she sells what she has planted and harvested and earns her keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment