Monday, April 11, 2022

Selling my Books

It's been a learning experience selling my books in the rural churches. Since January during which I travelled twice into the interior of Sabah I had not travelled again for the past 3 months and have been relying on my book sale since. This morning I heard from a Keningau church that he sold 17 of my books in two churches and one home group and only three books left unsold. Another Keningau church told me they had sold only 7. I thought as a big church in town they would sell at least 15.

I contacted another pastor friend whom I knew since my early days and he would be happy to take those books from my Keningau friends and sell them in his church. I actually met an Anglican Reverend in a police station last month where we helped a mutual friend who got into some family troubles until the police were called to intervene. No wonder my mother said she was lucky to have four good sons. Some even had one son but that one child had deserted his parents and some only gave headaches to their aged parents. But now that the Covid19 cases had subsided I might travel again but it is the rainy season now with a few Districts reporting floods last Sunday. I am praying where I should go, whether I should go south, north or East. The roads are pretty bad almost everywhere in Sabah. Since a few days ago I restarted my Galatians commentary and this morning I spent a solid two hours on it reaching the end of Galatians 1:16. Since there are so few Malay books, those in the know should know the value of reading good theological books. I believe the current crisis in the church is that most leaders can't reason from Scripture because biblical illiteracy is widespread. It is proof-texting without knowing the contexts and other Scripture that may come to bear on any issue under discussion. It's ironic because almost everyone knows when Jesus was tempted by the devil, the devil quoted Scripture and Jesus reasoned by quoting Scripture. Nowadays many do the works of the devil unwittingly either through laziness in searching the Scripture or through rejecting the interpreter sent by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment