Sunday, March 19, 2023

Itinerant Preacher & God's Provision

I have lived the life of an itinerant preacher for the past 11 months since May 2022 where all the Covid19 restrictions were lifted in Malaysia. But they are those who would still use rules and regulations to bind people instead of setting them free to serve God. I am glad that since I was in my mid-20s, I never really had to answer to any man or human authority. Before I turned 25 years old, I was my own boss of my legal firm. When I started serving full-time, out of my free will and in freedom I served my denomination though free from all men, yet a slave to all in order per chance I could save some for Jesus' sake. Even in Singapore, I taught how I liked and never compromised my principles. If I could teach a few OT papers and second year Greek, I might have stayed on in Singapore since there were two ready sponsors each with SGD3,000.00 per month to the sum of SGD6,000 in 2014.

Easily, I could be earning RM25,000 per month even I had stayed put but I chose to return to Sabah to serve with about 15% of the salary. When I first entered ministry, I was getting about 5% of what I got as a lawyer. God knows! Every time I gave up something for God is no man's debtor, I was blessed with much more. I gave up my 2-year Masters' scholarship at Auckland University but I got a 3-year PhD scholarship with the double the allowance and a doctoral degree to boot. 

This is our God who does great and immeasurably wonderful things for those who put their trust in Him. Even to this day, He does marvellously. When I was unemployed since end of 2021, I thought humanly speaking I would suffer financially. But almost immediately into my "forced" sabbatical during which I revised one book and wrote a brand new commentary on Galatians, I did something out of the ordinary. When I was gainfully employed in 2020-2021, my monthly cheque was not enough to make ends monthly, so I withdrew a monthly amount from my EPF (Employees' Provident Fund) to supplement my income. But out of the blue, I did something by faith. In November 2021 when I got the news that I would not continue as pastor (unemployed), I drove to EPF office in KK. Instead of increasing the amount of withdrawal each month, I stopped my monthly withdrawal that I had put in place. It was an act of faith. I had no money and no sponsors and no one promised me anything. But I had a sense in my spirit that God would provide and how He has and is providing is a story in itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment