Thursday, June 15, 2023

In the Middle of the Month

Reaching the middle of the month is a good time for some reflection. When I reported to work on the 1st June 2023, most people at the College were taken by surprise as it was right in the midst of holidays just coming after the Harvest Festival that ended 31st May. I wanted to stay overnight in my assigned apartment which has been my practice wherever I had been because that was a sign that I was committed to the new place. Unless one spends the night in the new place, it was difficult to feel one has moved in. I was given an office within 30 minutes and while they were tidying up the office, I went to the library at 8.05am just 5 mins after it was opened. I took out my first three books from the shelves. The Principal came about an hour after I had arrived and I appreciated that as he was on leave.

He drove all the way to College to welcome me as he no longer lives within the College compound. When I was shown the apartment, I realized it would take at least a week before I could move in. Patience is a virtue and I have my own home some 14kms away, though with traffic it would take me 90 mins to reach home. This morning I drove from home to my College and it took just under an hour. Have I moved into my apartment? Yes and No! I spent the night on Monday but there are still a couple of things to iron out before I would feel at home. Meanwhile, I bought many things to furnish the place. I don't remember buying so many things for my Singapore's College's apartment 15 years ago. But I remember my auntie's kindness when I arrived in Singapore. She came to take us and my wife out for shopping at least three times in the first couple of weeks. 

I already installed an air-cond in the guest-room of my College's apartment as it is located right in the centre of the city, I think some of my friends might come visiting and I would like to extend hospitality to them when they come. I have not been able to do this while in Ranau, though a few of my close friends also came visiting which I appreciated a great deal. As I was distracted about my apartment and the process of moving in, and in the past few days it somewhat affected my work. It's so important that faculty members should just focus to do what they are called to do and others do their part to make lives easier. Every member of the body is essential, though we have different gifts and calling in the Lord. Not many are called to teach God's Word and its training takes at least a decade in achieving the skills to interpret the Bible in its entirety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment