Sunday, June 18, 2023

Restless Sunday

Today is Father's Day. I am going to church with my wife but I had gotten up by 4.45am and there was a long 5 hours before the 10am service. I feel restless because I would have loved to attend church much earlier, but I am encouraged by the verse by Paul that those who have wives need to please their wives. At least I am obedient to God's Word, though Paul added that it was better not to be married so that the unmarried is not tied to anyone, and they can serve the Lord unreservedly and devotedly.

I am also restless because I needed to get back to my College's flat as soon as church service ends. I still need to tidy up the mattresses delivered yesterday afternoon. I also need to put on extra curtains in all the three rooms as the light is too bright outside and I need extra shade to sleep well at night. After 18 days in this new place one would have thought it was pretty much settled but I am still settling in the best I can. Fortunately, my preparation for lectures are progressing well. I have enough of my own commentaries and books to start with, though I have spent some time in the library on several occasions. 

Yesterday, I met up with a friend and his wife who came back from New Zealand for a few months. We met this family in Auckland in 1994. He was doing his sabbatical at St John's College where I did a couple of my courses then, and by chance we met and had kept in touch all these years. When we last met, it was in April 2022 when many things looked bleak for me. He was surprised that I found a job so soon, but his wife congratulated me. Old friends are better than new, though during the pandemic I found out many old friends turned out not to be friends at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment