Thursday, August 1, 2024

August is Come

Passing a milestone into the next is a journey in itself. It's been a week since the big day and one thing I have learned is how fragile human beings are, literally and metaphorically. As we age, we are less immune to germs attacking the body inside and outside. We have to care for our bodies and limbs more deliberately. I shot some baskets with a friend last January it took six months for my knees to heal even then imperfectly. What is lost is hard to regain. What is torn is hard to mend. When I lifted many boxes in and out of my car as I moved out of the Seminary's residence 5 or 6 weeks ago, I hurt my knees once more. Lord, can I stay put in one place?

Let the young carry stuff and no wonder priests retire when they turn 50 as they can't do heavy lifting around the tabernacle, climbing up ladders, trimming the menorah, pouring olive oil to make sure the fire never goes out in the holy place. Levites are to serve from 20 years old when they are young and strong. I have entered the phase of life that says, "grey hairs are glory of old men, and young men their strength". 

Even a couple of nights ago, I dreamed a dream of a bad shepherd and early morning I read the verse the young men see visions and old men dream dreams. Praise God that as recent as 14th July I had heavenly visions while worshipping in church with the song "Sebab aku ini milikMu" ("Because I belong to You or I am Yours") I really felt God's love poured into my heart once more as I did in my early conversion days in late April 1982 and for the next first couple of years Romans 5:5 became one of my favourite verses alongside Gal 2: "it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me".

No comments:

Post a Comment