Thursday, August 6, 2015

Exposition on Colossians, Biblical Languages & Living Out the Faith

I have reached the final legs of Colossians last night after 6 months where on alternate Wednesday night I had expounded on Paul's letter to the Colossians. It's an average 3 sermons per chapter, on occasions four sermons to the chapter. I will wrap up Paul's letter to the Colossians in a fortnight's time with the call to vigilance in prayers and living in peace with one another. I did not touch on the political turmoil of the nation except that I said in God's Name according to Colossians 3:25, For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality. No one can escape justice and judgement which is of the Lord. Nothing hidden will be hidden and all shall be revealed. It is in this fear of the Lord that we fear to sin or do any wrong that might incur God's righteous and holy wrath. I spoke at length on familial relations based on Col 3:17ff. I preached for 37 minutes which was longer than the usual Wednesday sermon of about 25-30 minutes. I spoke about doing our utmost and giving the best for Jesus' sake,  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men (3:23). Before the service started I managed to share with an elder studying for his MA in theology about a few Hebrew and Greek words.
He told me that he had no gift for languages and I said likewise. As far as I am concerned my love for the biblical languages was born out of necessity (how one exegete the biblical text unless one is familiar with the originals) and whatever proficiency I had gained was 98% perspiration and 2% inspiration. It was hard work slogging the 15 to 20 hours a week learning Hebrew and Greek for the best part of the first two years of the Bachelor of Theology degree programme at Auckland University. Although I went on to do 3rd year Hebrew, my Greek is better than my Hebrew as I taught Greek for 5 years. And unless you have learned much it would be impossible to teach. Likewise the teaching of God's Word, unless one has learned, and had practised and lived the Christian life, it would be impossible to preach and teach God's Word. God's Word is mainly experiential because we are meant to experience the truth in Jesus, the reality of God's transforming power through his Word. Unless one had lived out the Word of God and anointed by His Spirit to deliver the same to God's people, the effect will be little if not in vain. But with God's aid, we shall do valiantly for whatever we do we can only do for the sake of the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment