Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Mangoes & Rambutans

My father asked me when we met last week, "What do you do beside Sunday service?" My week has just begun after my Monday sabbath. Tonight is our weekly prayer meeting and in the past weeks, there has been much to be prayed for, politicians, country and all. The Ringgit is down to 3.855 to the USD and I hope it does not breach the 3.9 mark. Less than a year ago when I was still in Singapore it was hovering at 3.1 to the dollar. That's what political turmoil does to a country's currency and economy whether the politicians acknowledge it or not. Tomorrow I will be continuing my series on Paul's Colossians after taking a break from it last Wednesday. It is up to the family and work ethics of Colossians 3 and 4, the final exhortations of Paul in his letter to the Colossian church. But before that I will chair a pastors' fellowship meeting and it will be good to meet my colleagues after our trip to the Tip of Borneo 10 days ago. I shall be letting my co-workers taste my mangoes and rambutans.
On Thursday, I will be preaching in an elder's home for a thanksgiving and consolation service after the passing away of his mother last Thursday. Then on Friday, another elder's home is the venue for our weekly Friday home group. It will be massive as this elder whom I have grown fond of has four families living with him, like Cornelius and his household. He is a proud grandfather of three grandchildren born last month and one of them will celebrate his first month on Friday. I am looking forward to cuddling babies and praying for them. Anytime I prefer celebrations to mourning though Ecclesiastes says that it is better to be in the house of mourning than in the house of mirth. Anytime I will celebrate life over death for our God is the God of the living and not of the dead (Matt 22:32). It is those living who shall praise You, O Lord for there is nothing after the grave. Saturday as usual I attend the rehearsals and with two Sunday services, rehearsals for both services could run to 3 hours but I rarely stay more than 2 hours with the worship team just to make sure the music, songs and sermons all gel for the Lord's glory. I am only preaching first up this Sunday and will be interviewing baptismal candidates during the second service. After that there will be a finance meeting where the pastor is expected to be present, after all I suggested numerous changes to how accounting and banking is done in respect of our church funds. The good news is that God blesses the congregation and the giving has increased significantly in the last few months. Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment