Friday, June 28, 2019

Power to Enjoy (Ecclesiastes 6:2)

A man to whom God gives wealth, possessions, and honour, so that he lacks nothing of all he desires, yet God does not give him power to enjoy them; this is vanity; it is a sore affliction (Ecclesiastes 6:2). Later in the passage the preacher says that if he does not enjoy life's good things... (6:3) the Preacher thinks an untimely birth is better off than him. The book of Ecclesiastes is probably the most philosophical book in the Bible, telling us about life and all its vanities. Through its perceived pessimism the Preacher is a realist fully grounded in the world with all its joys and hardships.
One of its chief joys is surely to be able to enjoy life's good things especially that of the result of one's labour and hard work. Often adults put off enjoyment of life until to latter years as in one's 20s one is setting to find its way in the world and advance its chosen career. In 30s it is more often than not, raising one's family and earning enough to purchase one's residence and vehicles. In one's 40s one thinks of the grown up children going into university which could cost a bomb. If one is successful throughout one's 40s one should have put off half the house's mortgage and by the start of the 50s one should have children graduated and entering the work force. Then one is then occupied with thinking about retirement savings because soon the 60s will beckon and no one can run away for old age. Most of my close friends are way past 60s.

When I was senior pastor when I was late 30s most of my friends were in their mid 40s or early 50s. I was always the younger one, even my one term in the HQ holding an executive post. I was one of the youngest ever elected to hold any post in the HQ at the ripe old age of 31. When I meet my friends now most of them have really grey hairs or no hair. Even my two younger brothers have been greying. What I said about the normal cycle of life above I have not subcribed to it myself due to my higher calling to serve a mighty and true God. Three times I gave up everything to pursue the calling. Even when I left Singapore after 6 years I had barely enough to buy a 2nd hand pick up for my ministry though admittedly I was way better off compared to my first 14 years in ministry in Sabah. It was a miracle I could support my only son in High School and University in New Zealand. For 7 or 8 years I had to pay for his living expenses even the year plus after he graduated in search of a job. Today I can enjoy life’s good things by the will of the Lord. If He increases wealth He does not add sorrows for all I want is peace and to enjoy His presence which only the Lord can give by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment