Thursday, July 25, 2019

Paul and his Friends

Paul the apostle must be a friendly person. He greeted more than 30 people at the end of his letter to the Roman church. I used that this morning as I shared lunch with 7 of my former students. It happened that they were in town for a course. Two of the first names of Romans 16 are women, Phoebe and then Priscilla and her husband. Interesting that in a patriarchal society of the 1st century Paul actually mentioned two women first and then men. He went on to name another 8 women making a total of 10 women whose names are now enshrined in Scripture.
With me on the table were 4 men and 3 women. Two of the women are children’s ministry coordinator in their respective districts and one woman pastors a church and there were other 4 men who are also pastors. Only one pastor has some experience and most of them are just starting out or in the 2nd and 3rd year of their ministry. They were students when I was at the College from early 2016 to early 2019. It had been 6 months since I came down the mountain. The farthest I have returned was 5 kms from the mountain when I conducted a leadership seminar 2 months ago. But I may be returning to the same district next month and make my way all the way to Ranau to attend my former church’s anniversary. I met up with 2 elders in KK, one of whom purposely sought me out and extended the church’s invitation. When I waited for my students at the HQ this noon I bumped into my President and we chatted for a few minutes. I asked him about the progress of the new building at College and I was surprised to hear that in 2 months’ time part of the building could open to the College. I was invited to see for myself and I took that as a positive sign that perhaps I should make a visit to my former College soon. A number of the current students have regularly texted me and stayed in touch. May God’s will be done. Over lunch we talked about many things and I believe that the precious time together was mutually uplifting as we serve the Lord Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment