Monday, July 12, 2021

Love will grow cold (Matt 24)

One of the end-time signs is that love will grow cold. Love for God and love for others will grow cold. Family members betray one another and brothers in Christ no longer love one another. We are living in such times that love will grow cold. Even in these times of pandemic as difficult as it is, are not really extreme situations like wars, earthquakes, persecution and wild beasts roaming around. Yet love has grown cold. People have become more selfish. How can we overcome this dispassionate love? By our actions.

Twice I have to exercise faith in giving. Sacrificial giving. Last week to help a family. When I asked around, those who answered said that everyone was alright and no one was suffering deprivation. Seldom people will ask for help due to pride and self-respect. But I insisted on visiting a family and brought a bag of groceries and other essentials to church. I wanted to bring along a deacon until I was told the village head would discourage outsiders from visiting. So I managed to get another deacon who lived there and I gave him a sum of money to give to this family. It turned out they had all lost their jobs - both parents lost their jobs last year and an elder sister who worked in a restaurant also lost her job when the recent lockdown was enforced. Plus the fact that a relative came from another village to be near the hospital to give birth. And she had twins! So I would imagine my gifts of food and cash came in handy for the family of 8 plus two newborns. If I did not insist on helping I would have missed an opportunity to do good. Yesterday after church I drove to a place for lunch, a place that I had not gone to in about 6 weeks. Lo and behold I met a friend whom I had not seen for 5 years and his wife had just given birth. It may be my gifting to bless babies and newborns and without thinking I gave my friend some money and said it’s angpow for the baby (born on 10th July). It’s been my practice to do good especially in these times when love is turning cold for many - love for God and love for our fellow human beings, especially our fellow believers in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment