Saturday, July 24, 2021

Scholar in the Wilderness

If it isn’t faith, I don’t know what is. I have returned to a land that is short of scholars, and no culture of reading except a handful of Christians. I carry with me three books in one hand and there are two more in my backpack. I sit at the coffee shop on a Saturday evening reading the biography of Alexander Hamilton. I have two other books with me that I have been reading. I sold three books at noon after one former student who is now a pastor ordered two copies of Departure Points and a copy of my commentary on John’s commentary. I am a scholar in the wilderness. My friend said he would evaluate how his life is going in 5 years’ time. Another lawyer friend passed away suddenly at 62 years old.

But I may not wait that long. In 3 years’ time at the most I will evaluate how my ministry is going among my indigenous brothers. It could be a life long commitment or if the Lord calls me to go away again, then I will obey by His grace. I have obeyed His leading in returning to Sabah 7 years ago and I will obey again if He wants me to leave Sabah once more. At least in New Zealand it is more conducive of scholarship and I see more people reading books. I won’t be the odd man out. But here I feel I am in the wilderness. Not that there is no modern Seminary or library though it’s been closed for 18 months, but having a seminary does not mean that one can find the habit or culture of reading. Lord revive Your work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment