Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Survival & Obedience

I know some of my friends are extremely concerned for me, not so much for my health which is fine (thanks be to God) but for my financial well-being. Even a pastor friend who dropped by last week asked how I was coping and how I was surviving without a "job". As for more than 27 years in ministry, I never once considered what I am doing a "job", not even a "ministry" as some would understand it, but more as "obedience" like what Paul said that, "I was not disobedient to the heavenly calling" (Acts 22). Often-times, even among Christian circles and clergymen see ministry as a career for advancement either in authority and power or financial gain.

Why jeopardise my chances of being appointed to a plumb post or chances of being elected for speaking out or standing firm on one's principles? I know of too many people that would not consider taking a pay-cut, but only move or go where the money is for the sake of financial security. In a sense, it is not wrong to prosper but as I have mentioned, it is far more important to obey God for "obedience is better than sacrifice". Obedience had meant that I had given up everything not just once but three times in the service to the living God. Many pastors in my denomination could not believe that in the mid to late 1990s, we were still paying our top leaders with RM1,000.00 per month and our President just RM250 more. I did not get a single cent pay rise for three years when I was in HQ. Neither did I wish it so for the top leaders to get more if our fellow pastors (subordinates) earned much less. If equality and fairness prevailed which I made sure that it did during my tenure, we only got RM200.00 more than lecturers in the Bible College, not RM2,000 or more that separate top leaders and pastors nowadays. If I were a leader, it would be my duty to ensure those I serve would be better off and if we suffer, we suffer together and if we rejoice, we rejoice together. When my friends were surprised that I was only getting just over RM2,000 per month when I was "employed", I told them to think of what other senior pastors are getting. Yes, a few of them are paid higher and some of them are my juniors, but most of them don't even get close to RM2,000.00. So I felt if my salary just sits slightly above them (or below them), so be it so that the gap is not widened for we serve the same God and we, as pastors have the same needs with families to take care of despite our skills, qualifications and seniority. If we truly believe, it will be a question of obedience, of trusting God, of seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to us as per His promise. And if He chooses to give wealth and many possessions, He will do so without sorrows and without a worry in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment