Friday, March 25, 2022

Writing Commentaries & Bilingualism

In terms of genre, Song of Songs and Galatians can't be further apart. But I have been working on both for quite some time now, taking more than 4 months (Dec 2021-March 2022) to revise my concise commentary on the Song, completed just before the Feast of Purim on the 16th March. Since then, I have been working hard on my Galatians commentary which I am writing in Malay. At the risk of self-promotion, to the best of my knowledge I have not come across any bilingual scholar in Malaysia who have published in two languages, perhaps there are some in English and Chinese Mandarin but I can't name even one author who has published in English and Malay, our national language as far as theological books are concerned. After nearly 60 years of Malaysia Federation coming into being (Sept 1963), issues of languages still plague the political debates.

As for me in the context of the modern world where we live in, to be a bilingual is a must, not an option. As a Malaysian, one must be proficient to speak (and write) in Bahasa Melayu (Malay language) as it is our national language and a language that unites all tribes, races and religions in the land. The second most important language in the modern world is English, and there should be no debate over whether we should master it or not since as a former British colony with our English foundations, it is vital that we maintain the proficiency in the lingua franca of the world - the language of the internet, science, aviation and commerce. If a third language is warranted, then it must be Chinese Mandarin as Malaysia still have about 20% of its population who would consider themselves ethnic Chinese, but other races can learn the language for interest, and for interaction with the Chinese communities around the world, especially in the commercial and business contexts in Malaysia, Singapore and China that use Mandarin as its main language of communication and legal documentation. Coming back to my commentaries, it is extremely tough going commenting on Galatians. I am up to verse 10 of chapter 1 after almost 10 days of non-stop writing. Sometimes I write only 500 words a day as I am reading and doing research at the same time, but I hope to put 1,000 words a day from now and per chance, by end of June or July, my first draft should be ready with revision from August to October and formatting and publication by year's end or latest February 2023, God willing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment