Thursday, July 27, 2023

As Years Pass On

When time is no more, John writes in Revelation 10:6-7. That would be at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ for those who experience the first resurrection, time will be no more as in the new bodies we are no longer bound by time. But as long as we live in this earthly tent, we are bound by time, the ever passing time that waits for no one and I can’t imagine that seven months of the year are almost gone, and we are rushing into end of the year and a New Year beckons and we age one more year. Nothing happened yesterday, no flash from heaven and I was already tired before I started my 3-hour long lectures on Galatians and I must say I was surprised I felt energized at the end of it and one student at the end commented how the lectures had been so helpful.

It does help that I had just published my Galatians commentary and it is still fresh in my mind what I had struggled to write the whole of 2022. Surely I know these Malay writings helped the Malay speaking students who have very little proficiency in English. It is truly sad that Malaysia as a former British colony, English is all but lost and forgotten and neglected for an entire generation. What has happened to the teaching of English in schools that after 11 years of English, students still hardly can understand a simple passage in easy English or construct a simple English sentence. What a waste for 90 percent of the students who sit through English classes for 11 years yet cannot read the Bible in English, let alone a good theological book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment