Saturday, July 1, 2023

First Month at College

I have just completed my first month in my new place of ministry and I got most of my first lectures prepared for next week's start of the 2nd Semester. Coming in half way has its advantages and disadvantages. I had to pick up from  where others left off but thankfully I could contribute in the teaching of a number of New Testament subjects. Three days ago I gave a response to a thesis proposal on the book of Revelation and that was the new beginning of my new academic "career' second time round in my late 50s.

If I had thought about it as a career I would have stayed in Singapore with better resources and much higher pay. But I serve the church of Jesus Christ. I told a friend yesterday that I was reading a scholarly book which a few could understand but I told my friend that I wrote books for ordinary church members, that even young teenagers could understand. Further, I saw my book on Revelation in two of NZ's Bible Colleges at Laidlaw and St John's Theological College, but I am not sure whether it was read by anyone, though the book must have be on the shelves for more than 15 years (published in 2005). 

Yesterday I was told that a couple of students were added to my Galatians' class and also one more student enrolled in my NT 2 class. A good start but if I stay long term here, I hope to contribute to increase the student intake annually. With such great facilities and a 21-member strong Faculty, we should have 200 full-time students like Trinity Theological College, my former College in Singapore. Singapore's Christian population stands at 20% of the total population while Sabah's Christian population had fallen a great deal. It would be optimistic to have 5% of Kota Kinabalu's population of 1 million, confessing Christ as Lord and perhaps even fewer born-again Christians among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment