Friday, October 20, 2023

Leadership


My next book could be on leadership as it is probably the most misunderstood or neglected element in the church or Seminary today. In church you have pastors and elders but do you have leaders or a leader who stands out, like first among equals? Nothing gets done except someone has the vision or the leadership to lead change and implement it for the betterment of the church. Many people are in authority or hold positions of some significance but they are not leaders. Once there is no leadership, slowly and surely things will fall apart. In church, it could as small a thing as being punctual. As a leader and senior pastor, I remember saying the opening prayer right on the dot, at 8am sharp in all the three churches I pastored. During the duration of the pastorate I never wavered even on one Sunday. If the start time is slated at 8am, 8am it shall be when we start our service with the opening prayer. Obviously, leadership is vital for so many aspects of church life or Seminary life. Why are there so few students? Leaders have to have the ability to draw students like John Calvin and Theodore Beza who drew thousands of students to enrol in their bible School called Geneva Academy. Now the pickings are thin and few and far between. When I was Acting Principal in my final month of active service, I held an Open House/Day for the College and 200 people all over Sabah came and attended the public lectures that I gave and easily that year if I had remained the leader of College, 30 or 40 full-time students would have enrolled the following year as many showed interest in enrolling in the College. When I led the all-night prayer meeting, I managed to get the involvement of 15 of my fellow pastors and their church members came and altogether 334 participated in the all-night prayer meeting 8 years ago. I was the chairman of the pastors' fellowship in Ranau at that time. I could go on and on and perhaps truly it is time for me to write a book on leadership and perhaps God will raise a leader in our midst, a breaker that will go before the people of God with the Lord the King as our Head (Micah 2:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment