Friday, June 17, 2022

Laptop or Desktop Computer for Writing

I do not know how I survived using laptops for 8 years; the first four years, a small laptop of MacBook Air 11.6 which I bought with the gratuity upon leaving my former College in Singapore. I wrote the first 9 chapters of Departure Points using the laptop in Sept-Oct 2014. Then, with a generous gift I bought a MacBook Pro 13-inch at Changi Airport in Feb 2018 and until recently I have used it almost daily. The 13-inch laptop had produced three books, Departure Points (Dec 2019), Commentary on John's Gospel in Malay (Feb 2020) and Concise Commentary on the Song of Solomon (Jan 2021). Now I have used the 13inch laptop to revise the Song's commentary and it will be published in a couple of weeks, God willing.

I had used a 27-inch monitor for the past year but with HD (high definition) of 1080p resolution, it is still not that comfortable for my eyes. Yes, I survived on the not-so-ergonomic laptops for 8 years, but I am not getting younger. I needed a bigger screen or a desktop with higher resolution. So I bought a display/demo Desktop unit last week and it's been a blast as the resolution is definitely twice as sharp and I don't have to strain my eyes and neck looking down at the 13-inch laptop. On a good day, I can easily spend 5 or 6 hours writing which means staring into a computer screen. I pray to the Lord that I will use this Desktop which came with no warranty for at least the next 4 or 5 years. It is a 2-year old demo unit which is no longer in production, on Intel chips and not the more current M1 Apple's SOC. The new Apple Studio Display (just a monitor) costs RM6,999.00 on the Apple's Malaysia website. When my friend asked what I could do to ensure my bank balance does not drop, my answer in my heart was to do God's bidding, and to be obedient to His leading. God is my shepherd and I shall lack nothing (Psalm 23:1). I am a full-time author now, and in the stage of my life into my late 50s, I needed a desktop with a wide screen with high resolution. May it produce another three new books in the coming years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment