Friday, June 24, 2022

The Life of Faith

Those with world-class doctorates should be on a trajectory of upward mobility, as one might think. It was Singapore's DPM at TTC's 70th anniversary in 2018 who mentioned my alma mater, Otago University alongside Yale University as world-class institutions with which my former College had links including joint research and doctoral supervision. But I have only experienced downward mobility despite like what Paul (if I wanted to I could boast in the flesh) said he could speak like a fool and boast. But Jesus Christ, who is with God and equal with Him chose to empty himself and became man, not just any man but humbled himself as a slave and suffered and died on the cross. There is no greater downward mobility than what we read at Philippians 2. I chose a life of faith, not just as a pastor or full-time worker but as a Christian and follower of Christ.

When I worked as a lawyer for legal firms in New Zealand and Sabah, Malaysia I could not stay long because of my Christian principles. As a 24-year old, I started my legal firm not because I thought I was smart but I practically had no choice if I wanted to have control over the cases I took on. Again, I was a Christian first, then a lawyer. It was a life of faith. Then, when I entered full-time ministry, I earned in a month what I earned within hours as a lawyer. We only had fresh food once a week as the next main town was about 90 minutes away on a very bad road in 1995. Now it is only about 30 mins' drive on a tarred road all the way. As Treasurer-General, I was given the task to find about RM50,000 per month (by 1998, it was RM70,000.00) with less than a third of the amount guaranteed to come into HQ. I still wondered and amazed today as God's power and grace for His church that He provided for the whole denomination with more than 100 pastors, lecturers and evangelists in the HQ's payroll in my final year. Then my postgraduate study was also by faith as I did not have money to buy one-way tickets for my family to NZ at the end of 1998 (wife and son). That first year as postgrad student, I received about RM50,000.00 from a friend whom I never asked but only thanked whenever funds were banked or TT into my account. Then the award of a full PhD scholarship and my decision actually to apply for a downgrade to a Masters scholarship until I heard the voice of the Lord that "what I am going to teach you will take more than a year". How did I manage to publish my Revelation's thesis with one of the most prestigious publishers in the world if not by God's absolute grace? I became the first Malaysian to get international recognition of my work and until now the most cited author in the country by a country-mile in my field of study. When I returned to Sabah after 6 years in Singapore, it was by faith. I received a 70% pay-cut when my son was still searching for a job in NZ and I had to send money to him in 2015. Serving during the Covid19 pandemic required faith as I opened the doors of the church whenever it was allowed and never took a step back. I visited families and several pastors came visiting in my house even at the height of the pandemic. I had never turned anyone away nor failed to visit my flock when called upon. It was a life of faith and it is still a life of faith as end-times will be difficult as Paul says in 2 Tim 3:1-3 and many shall fall from the faith (2 Thes 2), but those who overcome will reign with Christ for 1,000 years and throughout eternity. It may be downward mobility and a life of faith but if we don't shrink from our faith, God will exalt us and we shall reign as kings and priests in His presence forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment