Monday, June 13, 2022

RM50.00 Per Month

In fact, it was less than RM50.00 per month. My insurance agent called this afternoon to inform me that my insurance policy had expired in April. If I were paying RM300 per month I am sure I would have received a call two months before expiry. Even agents did not really want to deal with low premiums and their petrol money spent to service such clients may not be worth their while.

Yet he called as someone I knew 25 years ago. But I managed to share with him several things. He had heard that I was no longer with my former church so I told him the truth plus many spiritual lessons as well. I told him that if I would purchase insurance I would not go for the lowest amount available with death payout of RM10K. I would have gone for at least RM150 per month premium with at least RM50K to RM100K insured for death or permanent injury. I told him that I would get back to him if I decide to buy insurance. When I was in Singapore, my College 's insurance coverage was about SGD250K if I remember correctly for myself and my wife included. But I still bought insurance for my wife for at least 2 years since I heard medical expenses could be extremely costly in Singapore. I paid just under SGD300 per month for my wife. When I reflected on the last 48 hours since late Saturday evening, I realized that within the circles of my friends, a full time worker is not much valued. Give me thirty pieces of silver and Jesus was betrayed. Not that I complained as I told the insurance agent that I did not request for the insurance policy but the church on its own initiative bought it for me. Yes, they chose the RM50.00 per month and could they have chosen for a higher premium? But I am more fortunate than most. I know of pastors serving for 30 years without insurance and no appreciation on Labour Day which we had started 25 years ago to honour our pastors at least once a year. Many pastors receive no such honour. I started the EPF payment for all HQ staff in 1997 when I was Treasurer General with the intention that all churches should follow suit and pay their pastors' due. It's been 25 years and my guess is that half of all current pastors do not get anything. I told the insurance agent that as pastor it was my job to welcome everyone who wants to step into the "church". As Christ accepts everyone who comes to Him, likewise if we are truly Christ's servants, we will do the same instead of discrimination against some people which is still ongoing despite government's relaxation some 50 days ago. Kyrie Eleison. God have mercy on me and Your church.

No comments:

Post a Comment