Saturday, July 6, 2024

Preaching Sunday

This invitation was unexpected. I thought I might start my preaching ministry next Sunday as an itinerant and full-time author. But I shall be preaching tomorrow, God wiling. The pastor asked me to replace him as he wanted to take a break from the busyness of his ministry. Being a full-time pastor is a burdensome job. People may only see you on Sunday but there are many meetings in between, elders' meeting, deacons' meeting, cell groups, prayer meeting on Friday and visitation to families that require prayers and counselling. The pastor's inner strength is vital for God sees our hearts, being loyal to Him and serving His people tirelessly. My Church's seminary's 2nd Semester starts tomorrow which means I shall not be part of the teaching team there and mostly likely if an appointment comes, it will be pastoring a church.

I do not know where and I do not know when, but I shall be keeping myself occupied with writing the Malay version of "Departure Points" though 90 percent of the photos will be new and different from those included in my previous book and two-thirds of the book will contain new materials and narration of events especially from 2019 to 2024. I will write what I had accomplished in the past 25 years (1994-2019) in a two or three chapters, giving at least one chapter on leadership and the last chapter a setting out of the vision for my Church in the next 10 to 15 years. 

I will look at what I can do until 75 years, a compromise between 70 and 80 which is a biblical number and age as written in Psalm 90. If I were an American, I would never vote for a President that cannot string a couple of sentences together and made himself understood. Once that mental acuity and speech facility fails, one should give way to younger and more vigorous people as no one is indispensable. I praise God for good health and I do believe by God's grace I can easily serve until 80 years old, but we will see, by God's grace alone. In fact, after I published the book Departure Points, I have gone past my priestly duties of 20 years of active service (priests serve from 30-50 years old) and every day, every week, every month and every year in the Lord's service is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment