Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Showing Hospitality & Welcoming Strangers

Sunday night must have been rather intense with much preparation involved and then hosting more than 20 people at home for dinner. It took a lot of my energy that I am still resting after 48 hours. I have not gone out once in the past two days. Yesterday I ate left-over food and today for lunch I fried eggs with bread. But showing hospitality is part of the requirements for an overseer and an elder of the church (1 Tim 3; Titus 1). I can see that much spiritual energy is generated when believers gather together in homely comfort and surroundings .

Yet I can't help but feel only now I could host people at home as invariably one has to spend money when people come over. Abraham was insistent that the three strangers he met stopped over his tent and Abraham slaughtered a lamb and his wife and maids cooked dishes and provided bread for the guests (Gen 18-19). No wonder in the early church, most of the leaders were leading citizens of the city, probably well to do for they needed to provide meals, though not for everybody but at least for the poor and widows who come to assemble without a meal beforehand (1 Corinthians 11; Acts 6). There is much spiritual fruit through meeting at home as conversations flow freely instead of the few minutes in a "church'' setting. Brothers and sisters can bond much closer and quicker over a meal and coffee. And in a homely environment, people tend to open up a bit more or that conversations flow more freely rather guarded speech in business meetings or even in church buildings. Further, there is no rush to leave the church hall and some of my guests stayed for three hours and there was plenty of hearty conversation in that time. 

No wonder early believers met at home because they considered one another as true brothers and sisters in the family of God, even a closer bond than flesh and blood. Unity in the Spirit is something to behold and marvel and I could sense something of that nature on Sunday night. I plan another home dinner for my fellow pastors in the KK fellowship in just over 2 months' time. I guess I want to minister to others in my home. Previously, in 2015 during my pastorate in Ranau, I had invited my Ranau's pastors over to my place during the Pastors' Conference and we fellowshipped around the table, enjoying juicy mangoes as I had a bountiful harvest that year. I don't mind if a monthly home fellowship would take place as the Lord wills, not in any formal setting or service, but inviting friends and Christian brothers for fellowship and mutual edification, likened to Martin Luther's famed table talk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment