Monday, February 13, 2023

Nothing is certain until it is certain

I have learned from past experience that nothing is certain until it is certain. I have experienced that an appointment seems certain but literally at the last hour it did not happen as planned. In the last few months I have lived some much uncertainty, not so much of myself since I look to the Lord always and rest in Him, but many friends and so called friends have asked me about my future direction. Until early December when my final printing of my book is released I was occupied with my commentary writing the whole of last year from Solomon’s Song in English to Galatians in Malay. But my friends were more anxious than I am about my future ministry. Hardly a week would go by and in recent weeks, hardly a day would go by without someone texting me or asking me what I was doing and my future ministry would be. 

Since Saturday, I had had my former Church in Ranau asking and hinting strongly that they wanted me to serve with them again. On Sunday the elder called to catch up and I have learned to be wise and skillful in my responses according to whom I am talking with, whether they are genuine inquirers or just spying out of curiosity or those with bad intentions. There are many slanderers and bearers of bad news around and one can’t be more careful in one’s answers and explanations. 

And also when the Galatians’ commentary was completed early December last year I was occupied with my itinerant Christmas and New Year’s preaching. Even now I am preparing for two sermons in consecutive Sundays. But I told myself early this year that I won’t let the uncertainty go on much longer. Although the constant asking from friends and acquaintances can be tiresome, I realized God did want me to fulfill His calling in my life in preaching and teaching. If I could train a few Master of Theology Bible scholars in the next five to ten years, I shall be content. As far as doctoral students are concerned I can only pray and hope there will be a couple or even just one person as Bible is the last subject that most post graduates want to specialize because of the biblical languages requirements. I told a couple of Seminaries that if I should play part in their institutions it will be at least offering a 2nd year Greek, a NT book or two in Greek over two Semesters and if third year Greek (and Hebrew) is taught, we can then hope to produce solid biblical scholars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment